expressome...

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Humaray Raastay (Yaadein)

Like I said before, I have tried my hand at Urdu poetry very few times. I am hardly ever satisfied with what I write, but more so with such poetry because I feel like its a pseudo voice, it doesn’t sound like my own. However, often when I read it after sometime it generates a decent amount of laughter. And at times that is exactly what is needed. Just the right amount of dry humor and an ability to laugh at your own self can at times turn moments that were excruciatingly painful and taxing into something that can be said to have made you stronger and allow you to smile, even laugh at times on the nonsensicality of your own efforts and writing ability. It may sound twisted, but even the sad smile it squeezes out of you is worth it. =) .

Wrote this in 1999. Reading it now made me realize that was the time I had been listening to too much of Jagjit Singh and stuff like “Tum Yaad Aayay”. I distinctly remember the last line “shaid kabhi, shaid kaheen” bit being taken from one of Javed Akhtar’s monologues before a song in the same album. However, fits life as I know it today. Personally, I like the other one better;
“Bhula Na Payein Gay” http://expressome.blogspot.com/2005/05/bhula-na-payaingay.html

But here goes;


Yaad tu kabhi aati he hogi
Humari tarhaan unhain bhi satati hogi

Kya howa agar har rishta toot gaya…
Koi waqt naheen kay daman choot gaya

Humari yaadein kabhi kabhi…
Unn ko satati he hoon gi

Guzrtay loggon mein shaid hum ko bhi…
Aankh uttha kar dhoondtay hoon kabhi.

Sabh kehtay hain bhool jao who din…
Hum sochtay hain woh aayain gay he,

Jo vaaday kiyay thay woh nibhain gay…
Phir kabhi na taur kay jayain gay

Hum nay tu aik rishta jorra unn say…
Unhoon nay har naata tora hum say

Yeh waqt bhi shaid guzar he jayay ga…
Magar darr hai apnay nishan choor jayay ga

Shaid Kabhi…Shaid Kaheen…
Humaray Raastay Phir Milain Gay He…

6 Comments:

  • i loved bhula na payen gay.
    This is just as bitter sweet, if a lil more derivative. But its more the beauty of teh emotions reflected here than your skill as a poet that grabs the heart. There's an innocence here that is somewhat reminiscent of PArveen Shakir's earlier works. The heart rendering desperation of love's labour lost...
    You have a way with touching the right chords to draw the most painful sighs.

    I can't get over how adorable this is. Like a lil teddy bear whose a little torn a little patched up, but always there, always just there for you to hug and to cuddle when you can't find solace in any of you pristine and immaculate toys.
    There was this series of cards that came from inida, featuring this cute little BHalu with a little band-aid-like patch work on it... this poem reminds me of him. He always had a smile on his face, even though it was obvious that it was a little broken and a little sad, but always always smiling.
    I don't knwo why, and i don't knwo whow far off the mark i am, but i read this poem and i think of that bhalu and somehow the world seems a little more at peace with itself.
    Almost, satisified... almost salvaged.
    Almost, but not quite.

    By Blogger Phitaymaun, at Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:35:00 PM  

  • Plus, i see you added links. and i got top billing :D

    My pomposity has no bounds.

    By Blogger Phitaymaun, at Friday, July 22, 2005 1:13:00 AM  

  • Wow. Your extremely generous and well written praise often does indeed, "touch the right chords". Thank you.
    More often than not I honestly feel that my expression, writing etc is not worthy of the amount of praise it recieves from u and some others. But thank you .

    "Pomposity" eh?
    Stoler. hahah never mind.
    Just has something to do with the way u steal my unvoiced thoughts, unspoken words.hahha and no i dont mean in reference to you, just used it in my head today for someone =)
    Thanks to tree-elf, now known as the more thoughtful 'hmmm', I was able to add links FINALLY!
    Well ofcourse, you had to be the first link.

    hmm, the bear imagery is extremely cute, glad if that is wat it conjures up for u.
    U called the poem "adorable" ....hmmm...maybe it had something to do with the still absolutely innocent, completely naive age, wrote it in 1999.around 6-7 yrs ago...DAMN!

    And yes I prefer Bhula na Payeingay anyday to this. Thats also obviously more recent.

    I like the way you put it...
    " The heart rendering desperation of love's labour lost..."

    By Blogger expressome, at Friday, July 22, 2005 11:05:00 PM  

  • 1999... that was one hell of an year.
    My life changed, the millinum changed... the freaking y2k scare... and you writing this... yup eventful all right. You keep dragging me into my past and one day you just find apost about all that went down in that damned year.
    This poem will get honorable mention ofcourse. It really is adorable, i've been reading it once every day just cuz it reminds me of that phateechar bhalu...
    and that then brings along another amalham of smelly old forgotten memories that i once thought were better left buried.
    You however, keep making my drag em out an dust em off and try em on for size. You keep changing my mind.
    I don't no whether that deserves gratitude or just an appreciative smile.

    By Blogger Phitaymaun, at Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:26:00 PM  

  • Reading it everyday Sajjad?? Wow u flatter me!

    hmmm....u said I keep changing your mind....I could do like a complete 50 page post on this...jinn ka mind change karnay ki zaroorat hai, I dont seem to have any effect on them whatsoever, nothnig works!

    Phateechar bhaalo...I think I know just what ure talking about...
    I had a "I miss u more than this card can say" wala card and it had that bhalo with a bandaid and a hanky with tears falling down and when u opened the card, scribbled all over were the words "I miss u".
    cute tha! =)

    I do get a feeling though, that dragging you into the past isn't all that great, and I'm sorry if unconsciously I may be causing you pain at some level. Though u seem to be willing to give me appreciative smiles, is it something along the lines of "smiling through the pain", in your words?

    By Blogger expressome, at Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:07:00 AM  

  • best regards, nice info » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free counter